Wednesday, November 21, 2007

BECKHAM CAN MAKE ME ENGLAND'S HERO - CROUCH


Peter Crouch believes he can fire England to Euro 2008 as long as David Beckham is given the chance to supply the ammunition. Steve McClaren must decide whether to keep faith with Beckham in England's decisive showdown against Croatia on Wednesday after the midfielder's lethargic display in Austria last week. Beckham has hardly played for LA Galaxy this season after a series of injuries and McClaren could opt to bring in Shaun Wright-Phillips for the former Manchester United star. But Beckham can still present a persuasive case to win his 99th cap. Despite his lack of match fitness, he delivered the corner that led to Crouch's headed winner in Vienna. And he has plenty of experience of this kind of crunch match, with his last-minute free-kick against Greece that booked England's passage to the 2002 World Cup still a vivid memory. Crouch is convinced his best chance of scoring the goals on Wednesday that would make him an England hero lie with Beckham. "He's still one of the best at delivering from set-pieces or out wide, so for someone like me who scores the majority of my goals from crosses he certainly a player to have," Crouch said. "He's a fantastic player for me. The last time I started for England against Estonia he created a goal for me. "With someone like him, I just know I need to get into the box because, given half a yard, he is going to whip a cross in. An early cross is perfect for me and David always provides that

No comments: