Sunday, March 18, 2007

BECKHAM STILL HOPES TO PLAY FOR ENGLAND


David Beckham believes he could play for the national team when he's thousands of kilometres away with the Los Angeles Galaxy. The former England captain, who was dropped after last year's World Cup, will join the Major League Soccer club after his contract with Real Madrid ends in June. Although Beckham hasn't been able to win back his England spot while in Spain, he sees no reason why he shouldn't return while a Galaxy player. "I will still be available for England when I'm playing over there," he told The Sun in an interview published Friday. "Even though the seasons don't run alongside each other, I'm a fit player who has always been able to perform even if I've had a month or two months off. "I will never retire from England, never." Beckham says he is still disappointed he was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and wants to get his place back so that he can play for his country at the new 90,000-capacity Wembley Stadium, which is scheduled to open within the next two months. "That is still in my dreams. In reality we have to wait and see," he said. "It's not down to me, it's one for the manager. But I'd love to play at Wembley for England." Beckham, who has played 94 times for his country, said he saw his move to MLS as helping to improve the image of soccer in the United States. "It's about being an ambassador for the MLS and taking football to a different level in the States," he said. "I'd be stupid to think I can make it as big as baseball, basketball and American football. "That's not going to happen. I'm not going there thinking I'm going to change everything. My aim is to help the kids in America enjoy football.

No comments: